Friday, January 13, 2012

The rotten orange

I bought a bags of oranges at Wal-Mart. They were gross. The stringy, not sweet at all kind. I ate two, hoping the second one would be better than the first....but it wasn't. I have a hard time throwing things away when they haven't gone bad (or expired) so I let this bag of oranges sit in the fridge. After who knows how long I started to smell a funk every time I opened the fridge. I figured it was the oranges and I kept thinking to myself.."I need to throw those away". Finally the smell got so bad that I decided to throw those darn things out..One of the oranges in the bag looked something like this...
gross, I know


Oh..that's probably why my fridge wreaks. So, I figured since the oranges were gone, the smell would be too. WRONG! After a week of smelling the rotten orange every time I open my fridge or freezer and every time I drink water from the fridge, I decided to take everything out and clean it. 
-Scrubbed down the fridge with bleach cleanser..smell is still there
-Threw out everything that was old, or may have been an additional culprit for the smell...smell is still there
-Scrubbed down the freezer..smell is still there
-Emptied the ice machine, scrubbed that out...smell is still there. 
-Cleaned the counters, the floors, the cabinet doors, the appliances...smell is still there.

THIS SMELL IS HAUNTING ME! It's on my hands and on my clothes and in my hair, I swear it! 
I wouldn't be surprised if I woke up tomorrow and there was a rotten orange staring me in the face..Help!

5 comments:

  1. I bet the smell got back in the coils. Remember when me and Dad took that fridge apart to fix and all that frost that was on the coils? you might need to let your fridge defrost and also did you try the open box of baking soda trick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. Did you ever get rid of the smell of the rooted orange. We're experiencing the same thing you describe above and we're worried we might have to buy a new fridge if the smell got into the insulation. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here with my fridge, every food inside fridge is with that smell.

    ReplyDelete